Sarees are traditional Indian attire that people have been wearing for centuries. They are elegant, feminine, and versatile, making them popular for formal events and weddings. However, wearing a saree can be challenging, especially for those who are not used to it.
And one of the most common questions women ask is whether they can wear leggings under a saree. In this guide, I will explore this question and explain why you should or should not wear leggings under a saree-plus give tips on how to wear leggings under a saree.
Panaprium is proud to be 100% independent, free of any influence, and not sponsored. We carefully handpick products from brands we trust. Thank you so much for buying something through our link, as we may earn a commission that supports us.
Reasons to wear leggings under a saree
One of the main reasons why women choose to wear leggings under a saree is comfort. Sarees can be heavy and difficult to manage, especially if you are not used to wearing them. Leggings provide a comfortable and easy-to-wear option that allows you to move around freely and comfortably.
Another reason why women choose to wear leggings under a saree is coverage. Sarees are often made of lightweight fabrics that can be sheer or transparent. Wearing leggings underneath can provide an extra layer of coverage and prevent any wardrobe malfunctions.
Leggings can also add a modern twist to a traditional saree. They come in various colors and patterns, allowing you to mix and match them with your saree. Leggings can also be worn with different sarees, such as chiffon, georgette, and silk.
Leggings are versatile and can be worn with different types of sarees, such as lehenga sarees, half sarees, and dhoti sarees. People also wear them with blouses, crop tops, long kurtas, and jackets. This versatility allows you to experiment with different styles and create unique looks.
Reasons not to wear leggings under a saree
Wearing leggings under a saree is not a traditional way of dressing. Sarees are traditionally worn with a petticoat, a long skirt underneath the saree. Wearing leggings under a saree can be seen as a deviation from traditional Indian attire.
Wearing leggings under a saree can also affect the overall aesthetics of the outfit. Leggings can create a bulge or a visible line that can be seen through the saree, detracting from the saree's elegance and grace. This can be especially true if the leggings are thick or heavy.
The occasion for which you wear a saree can also determine whether you should wear leggings. Sticking to traditional attire and wearing a petticoat under your saree for formal events and weddings is best. For more casual occasions, leggings can be a comfortable and stylish option.
Wearing leggings under a saree may not be suitable for all body types. Leggings can accentuate the curves of your legs and hips, which may not be desirable for some women. Wearing leggings under a saree may not be the best option if you have a curvy or pear-shaped body.
How to wear leggings under a saree
If you decide to wear leggings under a saree, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose a lightweight and breathable material: such as cotton or silk. Avoid too thick or heavy leggings, as they can create a bulge or a visible line under the saree. Opt for leggings made of stretchy and breathable fabric, such as organic cotton or bamboo. The color of the leggings should be similar to the shade of your saree to ensure they blend in seamlessly.
- Choose leggings that match the color and style of your saree: If you are wearing a plain saree, you can choose leggings with a bold pattern or color. If you are wearing a printed or patterned saree, you can choose leggings in a solid color that complements the saree.
- Please choose the right length of leggings: The length should be such that it does not show under the saree. Ankle-length leggings are the most common option, but you can also choose capri-length leggings or leggings that end just below the knee.
- Length and fit: The length of the leggings is crucial when wearing them under a saree. They should ideally be ankle-length or slightly longer and fit snugly without being too tight or loose. Try on the leggings with your saree beforehand to ensure the length and fit are perfect.
- Choose the right saree: Not all sarees are suitable for wearing with leggings. Avoid heavily embellished or embroidered sarees, as they may not sit well over leggings. Lighter, more flowy sarees like chiffon or georgette work best with leggings.
- Choose the right shoes: When wearing leggings under a saree, choosing the proper footwear is essential. Avoid high heels, which may make the leggings bunch up at the ankles. Instead, opt for flat sandals or shoes with a low heel.
- Accessorize wisely: To complete the look, accessorize wisely. A pair of statement earrings and a simple necklace work well with a saree and leggings. Avoid wearing too many bangles or bracelets that may clash with the leggings.
- Experiment with different styles: There are several ways to wear leggings under a saree. You can wear them with a traditional saree, drape in a modern style, or even a fusion saree. Experiment with different styles to find what works best for you.
Whether you should wear leggings under a saree depends on your preference, the occasion, and the type of saree you wear. Leggings can provide comfort, coverage, style, and versatility, but they can also detract from the traditionalism and aesthetics of the saree.
Ultimately, deciding what works best for you and your outfit is up to you. If you choose to wear leggings under a saree, follow the tips mentioned above to create a stylish and comfortable look
Was this article helpful to you? Please tell us what you liked or didn't like in the comments below.